The company discloses how it contributes to corporate citizenship in the regions in which it conducts its core business activities.
Awareness and Training on Sustainability Topics
We contribute to raising social awareness of sustainability issues through active educational work.
Concrete measures include cooperative efforts with schools, our public relations work and campaigns to increase consumer awareness. Environmental and Social Initiatives
The Werner & Mertz Group distinguishes itself from the rest by its social engagement. Especially in environmental and social areas, the company has launched several initiatives on its own or with others:
- Founding member of Biodiversity in Good Company
- Companies commit to integrating biodiversity protection in their operational management systems
- Support of NABU biodiversity projects
- Biodiversity: species and climate protection in floodplain forest
- Moor conservation on the Mürmes
- Biological diversity on company premises
- Support the LIFE project: National park HunsrückHochwald der EU
- Support WWF project for the protection of the Austrian Morava-Djye floodplains
- Cooperate with NABU RheinlandPfalz on "Frosch protects frogs" project
- Founded Recyclate Initiative in 2012 to reduce plastic waste
- Werner & Mertz founded the Open Innovation Initiative to promote the use of packaging waste from the Yellow Bag as material to create new plastic packaging
- CEO Reinhard Schneider becomes a member of Entrepreneurs for Future Reinhard Schneider receives the German Environmental Award 2019. He donated the prize money of 250,000 EUR to BOSDeutschlandfor the reforestation of the rainforest on Borneo.
- Participation in international conferences on environmental and climate protection (e.g., Our Oceans Conference in Malta, G20 Workshop in Berlin, invitation to G7 summit, Circular Economy Stakeholders Conference in Brussels, EU Commission conference "Unwrapping the Package – Europe on the way to the circular economy)
- Long-term cooperation with BOS Deutschland. Werner & Mertz supports the BOS orangutan rescue centers on Borneo with the reintroduction of rehabilitated orangutans and monitoring of animals returned to protected rainforests. The objectives of both partners are species protection on Borneo, maintenance and expansion of the orangutans’ habitat and a mutually beneficial exchange of information regarding palm oil and surfactants.
- Regular donations of pallets with Frosch brand household cleaners, dishwashing and laundry detergents to Tafeln throughout Germany in conjunction with the logistics company Spedition Schmelzer