The company discloses what qualitative and quantitative goals it has set itself with regard to its resource efficiency, in particular its use of renewables, the increase in raw material productivity and the reduction in the usage of ecosystem services, which measures and strategies it is pursuing to this end, how these are or will be achieved, and where it sees there to be risks.
As a non-producing company, cosnova GmbH has not yet had any measurable influence on the resource efficiency in the production process or in the reduction of the ecological footprint of its business partners. Due to the complexity of the supply chain, caused by the business model of contract manufacturing, this is not readily feasible. Where possible, such as at the newly built logistics site, efforts are made to use resources more efficiently and concrete goals are formulated. For example, the following concrete goals have been formulated for the logistics waste generated at the Butzbach site:
- General waste reduction
- Identification of alternative materials with a reduced ecological footprint
- The best possible recycling of the remaining waste through recycling or upcycling projects
- Maximum increase in the overall recycling rate (also with the involvement of external consultants). To this end, a measure has already been implemented in the form of a closed cycle for filling materials, which allows the incoming filling materials (paper and film) to be collected and reused.
There is no planned target achievement for this area yet.
Thanks to a cooperation with AfB gGmbH, Europe's largest non-profit IT company, we are increasing our resource efficiency by recycling our outdated IT hardware. The equipment gets a second life and saves emissions, metals and energy by substituting the production of new equipment. The processes for disposing of outdated IT hardware are subject to annual monitoring. In the year under review, a total of 400 kilograms of IT hardware were collected by AfB. Of these, 51 percent were refurbished. The remaining 49 percent of the hardware was disposed of correctly and all materials recycled as far as possible. By avoiding new production processes, natural resources are verifiably conserved. In the 2018 reporting year, 2,984 kilograms of iron equivalents and 10,949 kilowatt hours of energy were saved through our cooperation with AfB. There are no concrete goals or planned target achievements in this area yet.
We are also working on optimizing resource efficiency at a brand level. The aim is to develop a sustainable primary packaging concept for each brand, to design trade marketing materials more sustainably, to make product counters more reusable and to optimize limited editions with regard to their recycling. At a raw materials level, we are working on gradually developing our products in three areas: health, social and environmental safety. As part of our sustainability strategy, we have therefore been conducting an INCI analysis since 2014. It evaluates the cosmetic ingredients used with regard to health, environmental and social aspects. Ingredients can contain potential risks to the environment, health or social aspects without, however, being subject to legal regulations. These potentials are investigated and evaluated under the cosnova INCI analysis umbrella. The evaluations are carried out in accordance with the corporate ethics and policy of cosnova GmbH, in accordance with the assessment of the fundamental hazard potential of a raw material and not primarily according to the risk arising from a raw material (hazard approach). All raw materials used for cosnova are thus checked, evaluated and categorized using a traffic light system, from red (highly hazardous) to green (low to no risk at all). Raw materials classified in red and yellow undergo a separate review, which results in concrete recommendations for action and objectives for the respective substance or substance group. The aim is to reduce the number of raw materials with a red evaluation. There is no planned target achievement for this area yet.