The company discloses the extent to which natural resources are used for the company’s business activities. Possible options here are materials, the input and output of water, soil, waste, energy, land and biodiversity as well as emissions for the life cycles of products and services.
Compared with manufacturing companies, DEKRA’s business activities have a relatively low impact on the environment. Nevertheless, we use natural resources for our office and laboratory activities as well as for our business travel. Our environmental management is focused on the topics of electricity and heating energy consumption, as well as on CO2 emissions. We also keep an eye on paper consumption. Sustainability data recording is currently being set up and developed. The performance indicators available yield the following figures:
- Energy (electricity and heating) per employee 2015: 8,562 kWh, 2014: 8,611 kWh, 2013: 8,689 kWh
- CO2 emissions per employee:
- Heating: 2015: 1,778 kg CO2, 2014: 1,790 kg CO2, 2013: 1,809 kg CO2.
- Vehicle fleet: 2016: 319 kg CO2, 2015: 342 kg CO2, 2014: n.a.
- Electricity: 2015: 523 kg CO2, 2014: 525 kg CO2, 2013: 527 kg CO2.
- Business travel by rail, air, hired car: 2016: 189 kg CO2, 2015: 183 kg CO2.
- Paper: Sheets per employee: 2016: 3,783, 2015 4,052, 2014 4,030.
Scope: DEKRA Germany excluding DEKRA Arbeit. The energy consumption figures and the associated CO2 emissions (heating, electricity) are based on the results of a detailed energy audit performed in 2015 and correspond to extrapolations derived from this audit. The figures for trips by rail and hired car and flights are based on the analyses of our respective contractual partners (Scope: DEKRA Germany). The figures for paper are based on the annual figures for purchasing paper (Scope: DEKRA Germany).