The company discloses what qualitative and/or quantitative as well as temporally defined sustainability goals have been set and operationalised and how their level of achievement is monitored.
The topics from the materiality matrix can also be found in the sustainability program. The main objectives of the Strategy 2025 are broken down into individual initiatives and measures in the sustainability program.
The three fields of action Company & Management, Employees & Society
, Environment & Climate Protection
include initiatives on each key topic as well as a description of short, medium, and long-term measures and the respective status of implementation.
Members of top management take responsibility for the sustainability program initiatives, while members of middle management are responsible for implementing the associated measures. Manager remuneration then contains a variable element calculated according to the success of these initiatives and measures. FMG monitors target achievement in an internal management report prepared on a quarterly basis. This approach aims to ensure that the strategic targets are actually being realized in practice.
The strategic sustainability program acts as a schedule for the sustainable development of Flughafen München GmbH. The program defines the end dates of the measures and provides information on the status of implementation. Each field of action contains strategic objectives, which are translated into initiatives and measures (along with their own timeline) for the sustainability program. These are reflected in all aspects of the company’s business operations.
- The focal points of the Company & Management field of action include infrastructure development and sustainable building, enhancement of landside access and traffic development and the networking of transportation operators, air traffic development and air traffic safety, compliance and corporate governance, customer orientation including expansion of the digital portfolio and off-campus growth.
- The Environment & Climate Protection field of action focuses on reducing CO2 and air pollutant emissions, ensuring the respectful use of resources and progressively developing the noise-protection strategy and biodiversity. The airport has once again significantly raised the bar for its climate-related goals, to enable it to keep up with the fast-paced development of objectives in climate protection policy and to meet its own targets. With respect to the emissions that it is able to impact directly, the airport is to make its operations completely carbon-neutral by 2030 – and will be the first airport in Germany to do so. To achieve this, the Munich Airport Group is reducing the greenhouse gas emissions that can be attributed directly to its operations by at least 60 percent using various technical measures. The remaining 40 percent are to be balanced out by suitable compensation measures, preferably within the region. This climate protection goal adopted in December 2016 is significantly more ambitious again than the previous goal to achieve carbon-neutral growth by 2020. Flughafen München GmbH is investing 150 million euros by 2030 to achieve this target, almost an entire year’s net profit.
- The Employees & Society field of action focuses on increasing equal opportunities, cultural diversity and employee satisfaction and improving occupational health and safety and the health management system, employee training and recruitment, training and skills management, enhanced communication with social stakeholder groups, collaboration with regional partners, and ongoing development of sustainable procurement. Good cooperation with the region is essential if Munich Airport is to succeed. The Group cultivates long-term, mutual relationships with key stakeholders in its bid to generate a feeling of trust and acceptance in the society around the airport. Munich Airport enjoys a positive public reputation overall thanks to intensive stakeholder dialog. Munich Airport is perceived by stakeholders as a company committed to sustainability.
Munich Airport picked up on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
in 2016 and asked around 400 employees for their opinion on the relevance of these goals. Twelve SDGs were identified, which were both relevant for FMG and could be influenced by FMG, and these SDGs then transferred to the internal fields of action. These are as follows:
- Goal 3 Good health and well-being
- Goal 4 Quality education
- Goal 5 Gender equality
- Goal 6 Clean water and sanitation
- Goal 7 Affordable and clean energy
- Goal 8 Decent work and economic growth
- Goal 9 Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Goal 11 Sustainable cities and communities
- Goal 12 Responsible consumption and production
- Goal 13 Climate action
- Goal 15 Life on land
- Goal 17 Partnerships for the goals.